Sunday 17 March 2013

Chocolate and Biscuit Fridge Cake



When I was younger, in single digits and during the late nineties, I liked to watch Blue Peter.  And I distinctly remember there being some sort of chocolate and biscuit thing that was mixed up and put in the fridge to set.  It was one of the few things that I copied down from ceefax (since this was before the internet was very common) and made, and LOVED.  Well over a decade later I have been seeing refrigerator cakes (or hedgehog slice) on a few blogs and it reminded me of it.  Could I find the original recipe though?  No.  An incredibly thorough search did not yield a result that I recognised since I never put fruit or nuts or anything much beyond biscuits and chocolate in it.  Or golden syrup because as a child I was very against golden syrup.  Still am.  It's too sweet.  But every recipe I find has all these things in.  It was quite sad, because I really wanted to recreate it.

Then I was flicking through my Cadbury's cookbook (a birthday present from my lovely friend Jess last year) and saw it!  A no-bake, fridge cake that only had chocolate, biscuits and butter in it.  No fruit, no nuts and no golden syrup!  Well I was so happy and immediately knew I would be making it once my grocery shopping was delivered.  And I did.  I admit I changed a couple of things.  Firstly, I made a slightly smaller version of it because I wasn't keen to use up so much chocolate in case it was a disaster.  Secondly, I changed the dark for chocolate for milk chocolate, since I do not like it, and finally, used chopped chocolate in place of chocolate buttons.

Man it is good!  Definitely like what I remember.  And the lack of golden syrup makes it so much less sweet than the last one I attempted to make.  Also, it tastes amazing with vanilla ice cream.  Such a fantastic treat to end dinner on.  Yum yum.

It does amuse me that my 100th post for this blog (though not the 100th recipe) is a no-bake cake.


Recipe - adapted from Simply Cadbury's Chocolate 
Makes a 15cm/6inch cake

  • 275g/9.5oz milk chocolate
  • 20ml/1fl.oz milk
  • 85g/3oz unsalted butter
  • 85g/3oz digestive biscuits
  • 75g/2.5oz white chocolate
  1. Grease and line a round 15cm/6inch cake tin, preferably one that has a removable base.
  2. Chop up 75g/2.5oz of milk chocolate and all the white chocolate into small-ish pieces and put in a bowl.
  3. Break up the digestives and mix in with the chocolate pieces.  Set aside. 
  4. Melt the remaining 200g/7oz of the milk chocolate with the milk in a large glass bowl placed over a pan of just simmering water.
  5. At the same time, melt the butter in a separate pan.
  6. When the chocolate has melted, stir in the butter and whisk until smooth. 
  7. Let the mixture cool but do not let it start to solidify.
  8. Mix in the biscuits and chocolate until distributed fairly evenly, then turn into the prepared tin and pack it down gently with a spoon.
  9. Put in the fridge to chill for at least 3 hours (I left mine overnight).
  10. Remove from the tin, peel off the paper and transfer to a plate.  Store in the fridge.

9 comments:

  1. I have the original Blue Peter recipe if you want it. I am about to make it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yes please! That would be awesome, thank you.

      Delete
    2. From my mother's recipe book:-
      1/2 lb[sorry, not metric then] 'crushed' biscuits - she always used rich tea[crunchier] rather than digestives
      1tbsp golden syrup
      1 dessertsp caster sugar
      1/4lb butter
      1 dessertsp cocoa
      2 dessertsp drinking chocolate

      Melt ingredients in saucepan - add biscuits, press firmly in tin. She always used the back of a metal spoon and worked it hard until the mixture was shiny on the surface and VERY firm. Chill in fridge.

      Topping - Melt 4 oz chocolate [I suspect Cadbury's dairy milk] with some butter and milk, nothing specific about amounts here, and spread on the top. Keep in the fridge, cut into squares.

      There is a note scribbled, saying you can use 3 tbsp of syrup + 3 tbs cocoa as it's cheaper!!

      ENJOY and Happy Christmas

      Delete
    3. Does it bring back happy memories Becca?

      Delete
    4. Admittedly I've not had a chance to try it out yet due to lack of time but am certainly looking forward to doing so.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Anonymous! That saves me finding the right piece of paper in my pile of recipes! I'm just going to make it for my daughter's birthday - she's 22 but it's still her favourite!!!! We always use digestives (makes it healthy!!!)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Healthy - ha ha, who are you kidding? That sounds like my type of birthday tea! Happy Birthday to your daughter, Deb.

      Delete
  3. We're having a Blue Peter Christmas this year to reduce exchange of unwanted 'stuff' and expensive 'tat'. Decided my contribution would be the cake my Mum used to make. Thanks anonymous for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this recipe sounds really good for more recipes visit this blog http://spicesfarm.com/blog

    ReplyDelete