Thursday 9 August 2012

Ham, Spinach and Cheese Pinwheels


This was something I've had my eye on in my bread book for a while but actually needed to get my hands on the ingredients because ham, spinach and mustard are not something I usually have in my flat.  I do always have cheese though.  Can't go without that.  So when I did my big grocery shop over the weekend I made sure to pick some up and then made these for my lunch today.

As I usually do with the bread recipes, I halved the amount I made because these were only for me.  I still ended up with 8 though, and they're about 7cm in diameter.  So smallish but quite filling and delicious.  I only managed to eat 3 so I've got some left for a couple more lunches, which suits me fine.

The original recipe also uses Gruyère cheese, or suggests Parmesan as a variation.  I had neither.  I'm a cheddar girl so I put that in instead.  Still terribly scrummy though I wouldn't mind trying the Parmesan version.  Don't know about Gruyère.  I don't think I've ever had that...


Recipe - adapted from The Big Book of Bread
Makes 8, 7cm pinwheels
  • 115g/4oz self-raising flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 55g/2oz butter
  • About 75ml/2.5fl.oz milk
  • 1/2 tbsp mustard
  • 45g/1.5oz ham
  • 15g/0.5oz fresh spinach
  • 45g/1.5oz grated cheese (Gruyère, Parmesan or Cheddar)
  1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7 and grease a baking tray.
  2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.  Mix.
  3. Dice up the butter and add to the flour mix.  Rub the butter in until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. 
  4. Make a well in the centre and add the milk a bit at a time, mixing until you get a soft dough.  Add more milk if necessary.
  5. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into a rectangle.
  6. Spread the mustard evenly over the surface of the dough.
  7. In a bowl, shred the spinach and ham, add the cheese and mix together.
  8. Sprinkle the mixture over the dough, making sure it is evenly spread.
  9. Starting from a long side of the rectangle, roll up the dough like a Swiss roll.  Try and make a tight roll.
  10. Trim off the ends and discard, then cut the roll into 8 slices.
  11. Put the slices on the baking tray and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until risen and golden brown.
  12. Transfer to a wire rack to cool, though I recommend serving slightly warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment