Monday 13 August 2012

Clotted Cream Ice Cream


I have loved ice cream made with clotted cream, ever since I was a kid.  The ice cream that usually sat in our freezer when I was growing up was Wall's Cream of Cornish, which will probably always be my favourite vanilla ice cream ever.  I remember being horribly disappointed the first time we got regular vanilla ice cream from Tesco, rather than Cornish.  It just wasn't the same!  When I got my ice cream maker I was determined to make myself Cornish ice cream again, and that meant finding a good clotted cream recipe.  I have tried one previously and it was rather bland.  It pretty much tasted of cream, which I could do by freezing cream on it's own.  That would not do.  Since then I have found another and it was definitely an improvement.  The recipe was for making without an ice cream maker though, which I hate doing because it's time consuming.  So I adapted it and changed some of the method to suit what I wanted to do.

So I actually made this on Friday but never got around to eating any, and thus photographing it, until tonight.  I did intend to have it yesterday but then was feeling far to nauseous in the evening and had to go to bed without.  But tonight, all was well and I was able to serve myself a bowlful.  It is lovely!  Very creamy but the vanilla is there and it goes well with Cadbury Chocolate Fingers.  Just saying.  Raspberries too, according to the boyfriend.

Recipe - adapted from Wannabe TV Chef - original recipe does not use an ice cream maker, so if that method suits better, I recommend following their site instructions.  I modified it to work with my ice cream maker, which is a CuisineArt Ice Cream Deluxe.
  • 8 egg yolks
  • 200ml/6.8 fl.oz milk
  • 300ml/10 fl.oz double cream
  • 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
  • 100g/4oz caster sugar 
  • 220g/8oz clotted cream
  1. Prepare an ice bath, or a bowl of cold water with some ice cubes in.
  2. Put the milk, double cream and vanilla extract into a medium saucepan.
  3. Bring to a simmer and then remove from the heat to let the vanilla infuse.
  4. Put the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk together for a couple of minutes.
  5. Pour the vanilla milk into the bowl with the sugared yolks and whisk together.
  6. Pour the mixture into a clean, large saucepan and set over a medium heat.
  7. Stir the mix continuously until it thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon.  The high ratio of egg yolks will make it thicken very quickly.  DO NOT LET IT BOIL.
  8. Strain the mixture back into the mixing bowl, and place the mixing bowl in your ice bath.
  9. Whisk the mixture until it has cooled and thickened slightly.  This will take about 10 minutes.
  10. Chill the mixture in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
  11. Pour mixture into your ice cream maker and churn for about 40 minutes.
  12. Remove from the machine and add the clotted cream.  If the cream has a crusty layer on top, skim this off before putting the cream in with the ice cream.  Otherwise you'll get weird lumpy pieces in the final result.
  13. Fold the clotted cream into the ice cream.
  14. Put the ice cream back into the ice cream maker and churn for another 30 minutes.
  15. Transfer to a freezer safe container and put in the freezer for an hour to firm up the ice cream.
You will need to let the ice cream defrost for about 20 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment