Wednesday 8 January 2014

Chocolate Chip and Chunk Cookies


I was desiring cookies last week.  Chocolate filled cookies.  Lots of chocolate but without being an entirely chocolate cookie because I don't like those very much.  I could have made one of my other chocolate chips cookie recipes (I do have three others on here already) but where's the fun in that?  And it never hurts to have yet another recipe for such things.  They are all somewhat different so I can pick and choose based on what I'm in the mood for and how much waiting I can stand to do.

I wanted to try this recipe after seeing the photos.  Seriously, the photos from the original post are so gorgeous and the cookies look so inviting.  The oozy chocolate makes your mouth water.  Maybe they were shot straight from the oven, though after the required cooling period of course?  They are delicious right after said period, by the way.  Extra soft too.

So yes, this is a soft cookie recipe.  Very soft.  But oh so good, especially considering there was 340g/12oz of chocolate spread between 18 cookies in the form of chips and chunks.  Good quality chocolate too as I used Cadbury's Dairy Milk for my chunks.  I honestly recommend you choose your favourite chocolate for these cookies, which is why I did not specify a type in the recipe write up.  They are a fabulous cookie.  Both the fiancĂ© and I have been enjoying them immensely.


Recipe - adapted from Averie Cooks
Makes about 18

  • 170g/6oz butter
  • 115g/4oz light brown sugar
  • 40g/1.5oz caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 225g/8oz plain flour
  • 2 tsp cornflour
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 170g/6oz chocolate chips
  • 170g/6oz chocolate
  1. Beat the butter in a large bowl until it is smooth.
  2. Add the brown sugar and caster sugar to the butter and beat until creamy and pale.
  3. Mix in the egg and the vanilla extract.
  4. Add the flour, salt, cornflour and bicarbonate of soda to the mix and stir together until just incorporated.
  5. Cut the chocolate into bite size chunks and add it and the chocolate chips to the dough.  Fold in.
  6. Scoop out 60g/2oz amounts of dough and place on a plate or two.
  7. Cover the plate with clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours (mine were chilling for about 4).
  8. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and line 2-3 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
  9. Transfer the scoops of dough to the trays, spacing them about 5cm/2inches apart.  (I got 4 on a tray but I have small trays for a small oven).
  10. Bake until the edges of the cookies are just starting to turn gold.  This will range from 8-15 minutes.  (The original recipe said 8-10 minutes but mine took longer).  The centres will still be very soft and will be pale.
  11. Allow to sit on the tray for 5 minutes after removing from the oven before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment