Thursday 28 February 2013

White Chocolate Cake Slice With Chocolate Chips


Okay, I have a confession.  These were supposed to be brownies.  However, the result I ended up with was much lighter; essentially like cake.  I'm pretty sure brownies are meant to be denser.  The pictures of the ones from the recipe certainly look denser.  But that's what I get for using the wrong flour.  Of course, if a recipe uses flour they should at least say what type.  There are lots out there you know!  If I just see flour, I guess, usually based on if there's baking powder or some other raising agent.  If there is a raising agent, then I go plain.  If not, I go self-raising.  Of course, it occurred to me after I added it that maybe I was wrong.  But oh well, too late by that point.  I know for next time.

Yes, it must be pretty obvious I've never made brownies before (well, except those brownie cupcakes from Hallowe'en I guess).  I've never had a desire to.  Especially as all the ones I've been made to try are chocolate ones and I do not really like chocolate flavoured anything.  It all tastes so bitter to me.  But then I stumbled across a recipe for white chocolate brownies.  Now they sounded appealing!  I love white chocolate, which I know is not strictly chocolate.  It's a shame it doesn't impart its flavour to cake the same way other chocolate does due to it not containing cocoa, but rather cocoa butter.  But it does give a extra nice bit of smooth sweetness to it which I like.  Add in chocolate chips and what basically sounds like vanilla sponge and really it was perfect.

And the end result is delicious.  It's just not a brownie.  It's a cake.  A delicious cake but a cake nonetheless and that's not what I was aiming for.  So yes, next time I'll make sure to use plain flour.  In the meantime, have the cake version of the recipe.


Recipe - adapted from Tartelette
Makes about 12

  • 85g/3oz butter
  • 225g/8oz white chocolate
  • 60g/2oz caster sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 150g/5.3oz self-raising flour
  • 45g/1.5oz milk chocolate chips
  • 45g/1.5oz white chocolate chips
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and grease and flour a 20cm/8inch square tin.
  2. Put half the chocolate in a glass bowl with the butter and place over a pan of simmering water to melt.
  3. Once melted, add the rest of the chocolate and stir in until smooth.
  4. Beat the eggs and sugar together into a bowl until pale and thick.
  5. Add the butter-chocolate, vanilla extract and flour and mix until smooth.
  6. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  7. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 35 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  8. Leave to cool in the tin.
  9. Once cool, remove from the tin and cut into 12 pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment