Thursday 31 January 2013

Cinnamon Swirl Cupcakes


This is another recipe I stumbled upon on one of my random perusals of other baking blogs.  It struck me as interesting as it is one of those cupcakes based on something else.  In this case, cinnamon swirls/rolls/buns.  Since the fiancĂ© likes cinnamon I thought I would give it a go.

The only problem I had with the recipe I found is that it starts with a boxed cake mix.  I'm not keen on using boxed cake.  I like making everything from scratch.  So, since it was a butter cake, I went looking for a good butter cake recipe.  And found one.  With recipes in hand, I aimed for 12 muffin sized cupcakes since that is what I was supposed to get from the butter cake recipe.  Well...I did get 12 but really I think I should have split it into more.  The tins were slightly too full so when they rose, the batter spread out over the top and I ended up with mushroom looking cakes.  The one cake that turned out okay was made separately in a separate silicone cake case.

I also had a problem with the cakes sticking to their tins.  I had decided to not make them in cake cases because I thought it would be nice to see the cinnamon ring running through it.  It probably would have been okay though, if I'd done it in the silicone cases.  My silicone cake tins just seem to stick to what's in them, no matter how much I grease them, which is a shame.  Consequently, I ended up with some slightly broken cakes as well as mushroom topped.  Most of them survived intact, but I really regretted not putting them in cases.  Ah well, live and learn.

Despite their problems though, they still went down with the tasters.  The fiancĂ© seemed to particularly like them since he ate four of the cakes himself.  I personally think they needed slightly more glaze but otherwise they were deemed yummy.


Recipe - adapted from Daily Eats and Hoosier Homemade
Makes about 18

Cake: 
  • 225g/8oz self-raising flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 120g/4oz butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 225g/8oz caster sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 80ml/2.7fl.oz buttermilk
Cinnamon Sugar:
  • 55g/2oz caster sugar
  • 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
Streusel Topping:
  • 80g/3oz brown sugar
  • 60g/2oz butter
  • 4 tbsp plain flour
  • 1.5 tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
Glaze:
  • 80g/3oz icing sugar
  • 2 tbsp milk
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and line two 12 hole muffin tins with 18 cases.
  2. Make the cake mix by beating the butter, sugar and vanilla extract together in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
  3. Add the eggs one at the time, beating after each addition until fully incorporated into the mix.
  4. Add the flour and buttermilk alternately to the mix, mixing in after each addition.  Start with a third of the flour, then half the milk.  Another third of flour, the rest of the milk and then the last of the flour.  Set aside.
  5. Make the cinnamon sugar by mixing together the cinnamon and caster sugar in a small bowl.
  6. Make the streusal topping by first melting the butter.
  7. Combine the other dry ingredients in a bowl and then add a little butter at a time, mixing it in until it takes on a crumbly texture.
  8. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of cake batter into each of the cases, making sure the bottoms are covered.
  9. Next cover the batter in each case with the cinnamon sugar.
  10. Spoon another tablespoon of batter on top to cover the sugar, then sprinkle on the streusel topping.
  11. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until cakes are springy and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  12. Allow to cool in their tins for a bit before transferring to a wire rack.
  13. Make the glaze by combining the icing sugar with the milk.
  14. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cupcakes and leave to set.

No comments:

Post a Comment