Saturday 17 November 2012

Blueberry and Cranberry Cinnamon Biscuits


So today I got up two hours earlier than usual, since the fiancĂ© was off for his introductory CBT lesson today and since I had work later I wanted to spend any time I could with him whilst he was home.  I could have gone back to bed after he left but figured I'd be productive and tidy up the flat.  That was finished by 8:45am.  Thus I needed something else to occupy myself and, after dismissing sitting down and playing on my DS, I thought I should bake.

I have to say, I do love my Cookie Jar book.  So many great ideas and it only cost be £2.99 at the Works.  Such a bargain!  Anyway, these were something I had picked out for the fiancĂ© because they contained a lot of things he likes.  And since he finished all the gingerbread, I thought I'd make these for him for his sweet fix.

He loves them!  He's eaten a number of them already.  

The only complaint I have about the recipe is the cooking time.  When I kept them in for the recommended time, they didn't cook all the way through and they had to go back in the oven, flipped over, to finish them off.  If I just left them in longer than the cooking time, without flipping, they burnt on the base.  Quite frustrating.  I don't know if it is my oven.  Or if I'm not flattening them enough, since the recipe only said to flatten them slightly, even though the image in the book is quite flat and they don't spread out much in the oven.  So I'm going to be suggesting some trial and error in the recipe write-up.


Recipe - adapted from Cookie Jar
Makes about 30
  • 225g/8oz butter
  • 140g/5oz caster sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 280g/10oz plain flour
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • Pinch of salt
  • 55g/2oz dried blueberries
  • 55g/2oz dried cranberries
  1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5 and line 2-3 baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
  2. In a large bowl, mix the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.
  3. Lightly beat the egg yolk and add to the sugar butter, along with the vanilla extract and mix in.
  4. Sift together the flour, cinnamon and salt and add to the mixture, followed by the blueberries and cranberries.  Stir together until thoroughly combined.
  5. Scoop tablespoons of the mixture up and roll into balls.  Space the balls well apart on the trays.  I got about 12 on mine.  Flatten each ball.
  6. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
  7. Remove and leave to cool on the tray for 5-10 minutes.  If biscuits still feel soft, they are not cooked all the way through.  In this case, use a palette knife to carefully flip them over on the tray and bake for another 5-10 minutes.  Again, leave to cool on tray for 5-10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment