Tuesday 31 July 2012

White Chocolate Ice Cream


I am not a fan of chocolate ice cream.  It always tastes too bitter and not the right kind of chocolatey.  I think I have the same problem with chocolate cake.  In fact, I'm not really keen on anything chocolate flavoured, with the exception of chocolate sauce.  I think the problem might be the use of cocoa powder, which is too much like dark chocolate to me and I REALLY don't like dark chocolate.  It's milk or white for me every time.

But I was thinking, is there such a thing as white chocolate ice cream?  Turns out there is, which doesn't surprise me, but the idea intrigued me and I decided to try and make my own.  I didn't really take my recipe from any particular source this time.  I ended up using a combination of measurements for the various components, mainly what sounded like the right amount, and then went about making it using what I've learnt from previous ice cream making experiences.

This worked out rather well.  I did do one ridiculously stupid thing though.  Without thinking I melted my white chocolate, then added it to the cream and stirred it!  So of course, what happened?  It started to seize up.  I stopped pretty quickly but I got so worried that I'd ruined it and wasted a lot of ingredients. Thankfully the addition of the hot custard and a lot of whisking re-melted it all and everything was all right.  But having now looked around I should have melted the chocolate in the custard.  So foolish!  I KNOW that if you want to combine chocolate with a liquid you have to melt it with that liquid.  I was so glad I was able to salvage it though.  I will be posting the amended method in the recipe though.

I recommend using your favourite white chocolate for this.  I used Nestle Milky Bars because I think the taste is sublime!  But I think Lindt would work nicely too.  I'm now thinking I could make more ice creams using melted chocolate.  Like Cadbury Dairy Milk!  I may actually enjoy that chocolate ice cream.

Overall opinion of this recipe was that it was amazing!  You could taste the chocolate so well but it was also nice and creamy.  Will definitely be adding this one to my repertoire of ice creams.



Recipe - Makes about 1ltr
  • 300g/10.5oz white chocolate
  • 280ml/9.5fl.oz double cream
  • 500ml/19fl.oz milk
  • 100g/3.5oz caster sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 5 egg yolks
  1. Pour the double cream into a large bowl and set a fine meshed sieve over it.
  2. Prepare the chocolate by breaking it into pieces. 
  3. Prepare an ice bath big enough to sit the bowl of cream in when it is time to use it.
  4. Put the milk and vanilla extract in a saucepan and heat until just starting to boil.
  5. In a different bowl, mix together the egg yolks and the caster sugar with a whisk.
  6. Still whisking, add the milk to the yolks and stir until combined.
  7. Return mixture to the saucepan and set over a low heat, stirring constantly until it starts to coat the back of the spoon.  DO NOT LET IT BOIL.
  8. Take off the heat and add the white chocolate to the custard, stirring until it has completely melted.
  9. Pour the chocolate custard through the sieve into the cream.
  10. Place bowl of creamy custard in the ice bath and stir the mixture continuously until it has cooled.
  11. Transfer to the fridge to chill for 2-3 hours.
  12. Pour into your ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. 
You may want to put it in the freezer to firm up a bit before serving if your ice cream maker is like mine and you get quite a soft ice cream.  Mine had to go in the freezer for about 3 hours.

When serving, you'll want to give it about 20 minutes to defrost first.

No comments:

Post a Comment