Wednesday 2 May 2012

Failed Experiment - Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

28/06/13: I have now made chewy chocolate chip cookies successfully.  Recipe is over here!

Today I had a free day and when I have a free day, I often want to bake.  I also wanted something I can take with my lunch when at the school as I have only one Viennese Finger left.  Now it's probably apparent that I've been on a bit of a biscuit kick of late.  I go through phases of what sort of sweet treat I crave.  Currently it's biscuits and ice cream.  Not necessarily together.  What I really wanted to do was chocolate chip cookies, but not one of my usual recipes.  I wanted chewy cookies, like you get from Millie's Cookies.  So I trawled the web for recipes and eventually settled on one I liked the sound of.

Then I realised we'd used all the eggs up yesterday and I really didn't feel like going to the shops.  Luckily our hens had produced one egg this morning (they seem to be in a bit of a lull right now) so I at least had that.  Unfortunately the recipe called for one egg plus an egg yolk.  So I spent a fun few minutes separating and weighing the white and yolk and then splitting both in two.  My spare half an egg white went in the ice cube tray I use to freeze my spare whites for later use.

Anyway, here they are:


The result was...not what I wanted.  Sure, they look good but they taste strange (like popcorn, my boyfriend says) and they certainly aren't chewy.  The latter is likely down to me keeping them in the oven too long.  I keep doing that since they never seem to be the right colour.  Really I should just take them out when I'm supposed to.  I also couldn't taste the chocolate chips very well.  That 'popcorn' taste was a bit overwhelming.  I was quite disappointed.  Hence, no recipe today.  I am determined to try it again and see if they come out better.  Fingers crossed.

This coming Monday I have a birthday cake to make so I'll hopefully have a more successful report to make then, along with a recipe recommendation.

1 comment: